August 23, 2012

REVIEW: Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett

Title: Confessions of an Angry Girl (Confessions #1)
Author: Louise Rozett - Website | Twitter | Facebook
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: August 28, 2012
Format: Netgalley eARC* 272 pages
Rating: 5/5
Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make….

1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)

(Sorry. That was rude.)
Amazon || B&N || The Book Depository

My thoughts, feelings, and reactions. 
I loved and enjoyed Confessions of an Angry Girl so much! It was such a great book from the very beginning and even more so along the way to the very end. I wasn’t sure what to expect with a book like this, but I was definitely surprised by the overall outcome. It was so good I can’t even explain it. Louise Rozett had me wanting more before I even finished and she had me wishing it didn’t end there. There’s no better way to say that Louise entirely swept me off my feet. 

The Writing.

  • Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. That prologue really grabs some serious attention. After that, there’s no fighting the urge to read on and on. The book is relatively short, a quick, fast-paced read at a mere 272 pages. You will be devouring this book in no time at all. I completely lost time while reading this book, too engrossed with the story. Louise Rozett gave the book personality and flare through her writing and her creation of Rose. I loved how she added in those words before a chapter in Rose’s own definition. It was different and fun and I even learned a few new words along the way. 


Main character, Rose, is the best.
  • I loved her right off the bat. I found her to be completely relatable and easy to connect with because she was flawed and imperfect, more human than just a made up character. She was shy, awkward and uncomfortable in her skin, but she was fierce when she was worked up. She’s smart as hell and does really well in school despite all the anger and grief she feels inside. She was pretty awesome even with her insufferable attitude and demeanor that came out at the worst of times. I found Rose to be a great friend, putting up with her best friend’s antics and horrible ways; still remaining loyal no matter how she was treated. I thought she handled everything that was thrown at her as maturely as she could, trying her best at being the better person. There are some things that Rose does in the book that I frowned upon, but found myself being really proud of her in the end. 

The Romance.

  • The blossoming romance that’s subtle and sweet between Rose and Jamie stands out. These two were just so cute. There was sexual tension and secrets and thrill all wrapped up in their unconventional relationship. I adored Jamie. He’s that cool, quiet and mysterious type of guy you don’t know much about, but are begging to. He cares for Rose in a way that doesn’t need to be voiced, but is seen and felt through action. Not much is said about Jamie, leaving plenty room to reader’s imagination until the next book. 

The plot is what drew me in, but it’s the reason I stayed for the ride.

  • Rose struggles with high school life, with her grief and anger at her dad dying, with the neglect she feels from her mother, the distance between her and her brother, the friendship with Tracy that seems to be crumbling at a fast rate and her feelings towards the sexy and aloof: Jamie Forta. Louise Rozett does an impressive depiction of high school freshman life and of a teenager dealing with real life issues and drama with struggles of growing up. There’s talk about popularity, relationships, alcohol and sex. Basically everything and anything a high schooler may go through is somehow mentioned and weaved into the story, making this book easily relatable to teens and young adults. 



Overall, Confessions of an Angry Girl is real, true and straightforward. Rose’s inner mind is so addicting to read there’s difficulty at pulling yourself away. Louise Rozett tells it like it is. She’s compelling and hypnotizing readers into Rose’s story. 



I can’t wait for where Louise Rozett will take Rose in Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend.

*Thanks to Harlequin Teen for allowing me to read this book!

2 comments:

  1. I am regretting passing on this now! LOL I've read some fabulous reviews. Sounds like a great romance and getting through life type of story. Lots of high school things dealt with that sound realistic. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I LOVED this book. I devoured this book it was so dang good. So glad that you liked this one too. Rose was awesome wasn't she? Even though she was younger than most characters I read about she was totally awesome. She wasn't an immature character like some characters might have been considering the age she was. That really made me love this book even more. You're right about the sex, relationships, popularity etc talk really made this book relatable. It's what is really going on in high school. Awesome review! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! You rock :] <3