October 29, 2012

Rereading The Iron King: My Review

Title: The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: February 1, 2010
Format: Paperback; 362 pages
Rating: 5/5 stars
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

My thoughts.
Meghan Chase, our sweet and courageous protagonist.

Smart and unselfish, this girl stumbles upon a world that has always been hidden from her. She takes this all in with stride to save her younger brother, Ethan, and comes out a stronger, more confidant and admirable character. When once she seemed weak, now it seems like she could do anything.

Puck and Ash, the two that tore my heart in two and made it their own.

Witty and playful vs. dark and brooding; These two characters are opposites, but when they are together they're magnificent. Both are handsome and both are alluring and both managed to make me fall for them uninhibitedly. I love Puck’s ability to make me laugh and Ash’s ability to make my heart flutter.

Romance. And oh how lovely it is.

The blooming and forbidden romance between Meghan and Ash is sweet and a breath of fresh air. I loved watching them fall in love and care for one another despite the feuds of their courts. It broke my heart to watch something that is so beautiful, but so fragile. Their love is doomed from the start and it’s obvious being together is not going to be easy, but being apart is even worse. 

The Neverever, how I wish you were real. 

This is where Julie Kagawa excels at. She creates a world that is well developed from the sky to the ground to the creatures, their powers, the courts, and the food. The Nevernever is magical, surreal, frightening and intimidating, but fascinating and alluring. It truly is otherwordly. I love how vivid and descriptive Kagawa makes of the Nevernever. I could almost imagine being there, smelling the fresh woodsy air of the Wyldwoods, taste the sweet faery wine, and feel the power radiating off of ever corner. The Nevernever is a world that only exists in our dreams, but is alive and real in this story. 

Kagawa’s exceptional writing captivates.
The Iron King is a fast-paced adventure. There’s a great climax and an even better resolution with more to come in the following books. Kagawa’s writing is flawlessly superb. It’s smooth, eye-catching and breath-taking. She’s capable of keeping the reader riveted and bringing out the high emotions of the characters and placing them with the reader in each moment. 

Overall, The Iron King is one enchanting read. It’s surely a book I could go back to time and time again. Julie Kagawa doesn’t just exceed expectations, but she delivers. 

3 comments:

  1. Isn't the Nevernever so well crafted? I was just typing up my review for The Lost Prince and had to mention that. :) So glad you liked this, Jessirae! Awesome review. I love your paragraph on Ash and Puck. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book a while back and liked it but I never really felt the urgent need to read the second book. Though after this review you totally make me want to reread it and get my hands on the rest of the series. And after reading The Immortal Rules I definitely want to read the rest of Julie's books for sure! The Immoral Rules was made of awesome and her writing was so amazing! Lovely review Jessirae! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got SO much to look forward to with this series. I absolutely loved this series. I am sure if I looked back I had a few issues with it, but overall it was such an amazing series. So glad that you're enjoying it to far, it only gets better from here. Can't wait to see reviews of the rest of the series! :)

    - Justin @ Justin's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! You rock :] <3