February 18, 2013

REVIEW: Mind Games by Kiersten White

Title: Mind Games (Mind Games #1)
Author: Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: February 19, 2013
Format: egalley* 256 pages
Rating: 5/5
Get it: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future. 

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways… or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.

My Review
Mind Games is another masterpiece that I completely loved from Kiersten White! She has done it again, simply sweeping me off my feet with another amazing story. Mind Games has a stunning combination of the bond and love between two sisters, suspense and edge that will surely be loved by old and new fans all around. 

I’ve been smitten with White’s work the moment I finished Paranormalcy and Mind Games was further proof of her excellent and outstanding writing style. She has this touch, this ability to create unique voices and personalities in every character she makes and it’s more prominent here between her two main characters, Fia and Annie. The swift and easy way of her storytelling always impresses me to no end. There is something about her writing that flows smoothly without trying that I can never get enough of no matter how many books she may write. Mind Games was really different from her pervious books and that’s what I love most about it. It’s darker, more mature and ten times more thrilling. Kiersten White really ups her game and I was throughly dazzled. 


Between Fia and Annie, I loved Fia more from the very beginning. For me, Fia was just more interesting, more of a mystery and very hard to figure out. She was such a complex character that had so many different sides that always kept me guessing on what she would do next. Fiercely Fia, is what I call her, and she got more spunk and backbone that all the other characters in this book combined. Somewhat broken, a little spazzy and filled with energy, Fia brings out the life of this book in every way. I looked up to Fia for her strength, intelligence, and her cunning ability to fight and defend herself with little to no ease, but mostly for the continued sacrifices she makes on behalf of the safety of her sister. Troubled and internally tortured, Fia struggles with right and wrong and the consequences of her instincts despite the good and the bad. The best thing about Fia was her unwavering loyalty to Annie and the fact that her bravery was seemingly endless even in the face of her most deepest fears. 

While I didn’t love Annie the way I did with Fia, I did like her to some extent. I thought Annie was a little more serious compared to Fia’s spunky attitude. She was just as protective as Fia, even when she felt like she couldn’t really protect her all that much. I like that Annie was able to give some attitude and dish it even when she was scared and even when she truly couldn’t see. I had a soft spot for Annie because of the guilt she carried for the death of parents and for Fia’s unraveling. I could see the burden she carried and blame she put on herself for everything that has happened and it ate away at me that she would feel this way. Quiet and reserved, Annie wasn’t afraid to risk her life for Fia. She may have seemed weak, but she was strong and able to handle herself far more than I would have thought she could. In the end, I did end up admiring Annie just a little bit more. 

There was definitely many elements going on in this book that White allows us to grasp and understand, but I could always tell that there was so much more to the story and what was truly going on with the Keane Foundation. The special abilities from Seers, Readers and Feelers are slightly touched upon enough to give way to intrigue and fascination. I loved the aspect of exploitation and black mail because it was entirely different from what I usually read in books lately. The best part of this book was the alternating point of view’s between Fia and Annie and all the flashbacks that were weaved in between the chapters. These flashbacks allowed the story to come full circle and to connect any dots and tie any loose ends. It was not only insightful, but it helped moved the story and explain any questions along the way. I’m excited for the next installment because I have a feeling things are just only beginning for Fia and Annie.


Overall, Mind Games wasn’t a simple story about romance, but of two sisters who love each other so much and would go to so many lengths to protect each other no matter what. This book will enrapture from start to finish and leave you holding your breath for more. 

*Thanks to Edelweiss and HarperTeen for sending a copy for review

________________________

Favorite Quotes:
All quotes are subject to change from eARC to finished copy.
"'If anything happens to her, I'll never have to see for you again because there will be nothing left in the world I care about.' 'You're not the only one who cares about her.'" Location 304.

"Most people lie with words; I lie with my whole body. I lie with my thoughts and emotions; I lie with everything that makes me who I am. I'm the best liar in the whole entire world." Location 504.

"His voice gets tight. Daddy issues. I wish I had daddy issues. Though I suppose I have issues with his daddy." Location 928.

"'If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does anyone give a crap?' I mutter." Location 996.

"But his hands are on my neck and in my hair and tracing my collarbone and it is wrong but it feels right, it feels like falling and I know the impact at the bottom will probably kill me, but I don't care anymore." Location 1395

3 comments:

  1. I need to read this. I love stories about sisters. Especially when they do anything for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this sounds amazing! The characters Fia and Annie sound great, especially Fia of course. The story sounds exquisite and I loved your review!

    Sunny @ Blue Sky Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome review. I can't wait to read this book, it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! You rock :] <3